What Field Recorders Work With Hooke Verse?
Hooke Verse is the first Bluetooth Headphone capable of capturing lossless binaural audio to iPhone and Android, but did you know that Hooke Verse also comes with a recording cable for recording to field recorders and digital cameras?
Hooke Verse can record wireless or wired thanks to the Hooke recording cable. When plugged into the Verse, it immediately transforms into a wired microphone. On the other end of the cable are two connectors, a 10-pin proprietary mini USB connector specifically for GoPros and a stereo male 3.55mm connector that outputs line level audio to field recorders.
Best Practices for Recording to Field Recorders:
- Make sure your field recorder is capable of taking a stereo LINE level input from a 3.5mm jack, not mic level. The Verse outputs line level signal. If you need to adapt the connector to a dual 1/4″ connector like this one, that’s fine. But make sure the input on your recorder is set to line level.
- You may experience some noise when recording to European made field recorders when operating on plug-in power. Best practice for recording to field recorders made in the EU is to operate on battery power to reduce noise.
- Field recorders like the Olympus DM series have a switch inside of the interface where you can disable or enable plug in power. Even if you are operating an Olympus recorder with batteries, make sure “plug in power” is disabled on the interface of the recorder.
Below is a list of compatible field recorders with Hooke Verse.
Honestly, as long as the recorder is capable of taking a stereo LINE level input from a 3.5mm jack, you should be good.
1. Olympus LS Series (or any other Olympus recorder capable of taking in LINE level input)
NOTE – YOU MUST DISABLE PLUG IN POWER ON THE RECORDER WHEN OPERATING WITH HOOKE VERSE. EVEN IF IT IS NOT PLUGGED INTO PLUG IN POWER, THERE IS A TOGGLE SWITCH ON ALL OF THESE OLYMPUS RECORDERS IN THE INTERFACE THAT MUST BE DISABLED BEFORE USE.
2. Zoom H1 Handy Recorder
3. Tascam DR-22WL
4. Zoom H5 Handy Recorder
5. TASCAM DR-44WL
6. Roland R-26 – $399.00
7. Zoom H6 Handy Recorder – $399.99
Portable Multi-Track Recorders
1. Marantz PMD661 MKII
2. Roland R-44-E – $795
3. Tascam DR-680MKII – $832
Pros: Quality Audio, Build Quality
Cons: Phantom Power, Meter Readouts
The Tascam DR-680MKII multichannel field recorder allows for up 8 tracks to be recorded simultaneously, and at an amazing 96kHz/24-bit. This small recorder packs a serious punch and offers clear audio all within a sturdy form factor. It boast 4 XLR combo inputs with phantom power, however the phantom power can be one of the recorders faults along side the unclear meter read-outs.
4. Superscope PSD450mk2 – $900
5. Tascam HD-P2
6. Zoom F8 – $1000
How to record binaural 3D audio to a field recorder with Hooke Verse
These days binaural 3d audio is becoming more accessible, with a lot of companies creating products that let you consume 3D Audio or create 3D Audio on professional rigs. But what if you want to capture 3D Audio on your field recorder? Well, now you can. This is how you record 3d audio to a Field Recorder. It’s actually easy to capture professional audio to an Field Recorder and the results are mind blowing!
1. Use a Field Recorder with a stereo 3.5mm line jack
Most field recorders come equipped with 3.5mm line in jacks and 3.5mm mic jacks. For 3D Audio, you’ll want a recorder that inputs line level.
2. You’ll Need a Binaural 3D Audio Mic With a Stereo 3.5mm Connector
In this case, we’ll use the Hooke Verse (www.hookeaudio.com) as it comes standard with a cable for recording direct to field recorders. In our tutorial, we will use the Hooke Verse to capture binaural 3D Audio to an Field Recorder. The Hooke Verse is cool because in addition to being microphones, they’re also headphones. Which means you can listen back to your 3D Audio recordings.
3. Plug In To A STEREO LINE INPUT
Make sure the input on your recorder is a stereo 3.5mm line level jack. Don’t plug into a mic level jack or you’ll experience a significant amount of noise. Once you have the recording cable plugged into the Hooke Verse, power the Hooke Verse on and plug it into your Field Recorder’s line jack. The Hooke Verse will automatically over ride your field recorder’s built in microphone.
4. Record On!
Simply press record on your Field Recorder and your videos will automatically be captured in beautiful binaural 3D Audio!
To learn more about recording to devices like GoPros, DSLR cameras and computers using the Hooke recording cable, read below.
And if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out in the comments section below! (I respond weekly).
From One Ear To Another,
Founder, Hooke Audio