Do monitors have speakers? This is a common question that many people ask when purchasing a new monitor. The answer, however, is not straightforward as it depends on the specific model and brand.
In this post, Hookeaudio will explore the world of monitor speakers, discussing whether monitors come with built-in speakers, the advantages and disadvantages of monitors with speakers, and how to connect external speakers to your monitor.
We will also look at some of the best monitors with speakers available on the market and answer related questions about gaming monitors and specific brands like Dell, Samsung, AOC, and HP.
By the end of this post, you’ll have a better understanding of whether or not your monitor has speakers and how to improve your audio experience.
Do Monitors Have Speakers?
Some monitors have built-in speakers, while others do not.
Monitors with built-in speakers can be convenient for users who want a simple setup with fewer cables and devices. These monitors typically have small speakers located on the back or bottom of the monitor. However, the sound quality of built-in speakers is usually not as good as standalone speakers.
On the other hand, monitors without built-in speakers require external speakers or headphones to produce sound. These monitors typically have a headphone jack or audio output port to connect external speakers or headphones.
If you are in the market for a new monitor and want built-in speakers, make sure to check the specifications of the monitor before purchasing to ensure it has this feature.
Can You Connect Speakers to A Monitor?
Yes, you can connect external speakers to a monitor in a few different ways, depending on the inputs and outputs available on your monitor and speakers.
If your monitor has a headphone jack or audio output port, you can connect external speakers using a 3.5mm audio cable. Simply plug one end of the cable into the headphone jack on the monitor and the other end into the input port on the speakers.
Alternatively, some monitors have HDMI or DisplayPort inputs that support audio output. In this case, you can connect external speakers that have HDMI or DisplayPort inputs by using an appropriate cable.
If your monitor does not have a headphone jack, audio output port, or HDMI or DisplayPort inputs, you may need to use an HDMI or VGA adapter with an audio port to connect external speakers. Some monitors may also come with a built-in audio amplifier or USB port that can be used to connect external speakers.
How to Check If My Monitor Has Speakers?
There are a few ways to check if your monitor has built-in speakers:
- Look for the speaker icon: Check the front or back of the monitor for a speaker icon. This is usually located near the power button or on-screen display (OSD) controls. If your monitor has built-in speakers, you should see this icon.
- Check the monitor’s specifications: Look up the specifications of your monitor online. The product page or user manual should list whether or not the monitor has built-in speakers.
- Check the audio inputs and outputs: If your monitor has an audio output port or headphone jack, it likely has built-in speakers. Check the back of the monitor for these ports. If you see them, it’s likely that the monitor has built-in speakers.
- Check the OSD controls: If your monitor has OSD controls, navigate to the audio or sound settings. If the monitor has built-in speakers, you should see an option to adjust the volume.
If you are still unsure whether your monitor has built-in speakers after trying these methods, you can contact the manufacturer or consult with a technical expert for further assistance.
How to Connect External Speakers to a Monitor?
To connect external speakers to a monitor, you can follow these steps:
- Determine the audio output options of your monitor: Check the back or side of the monitor for a headphone jack or audio output port. If your monitor has an HDMI or DisplayPort input, it may also support audio output.
- Determine the audio input options of your speakers: Check the back or side of your speakers for an audio input port. Most speakers have a 3.5mm audio jack, while others may use RCA or optical inputs.
- Connect the audio cable to the monitor: If your monitor has a headphone jack or audio output port, connect one end of a 3.5mm audio cable to the monitor’s audio output port and the other end to the input port on your speakers. If your monitor has an HDMI or DisplayPort input with audio output support, connect an appropriate cable to the input on your speakers.
- Adjust the volume: Once the cables are connected, turn on your monitor and speakers. Adjust the volume levels on both devices to ensure the sound is balanced and at the desired volume.
Note that the process of connecting external speakers to a monitor may vary slightly depending on the specific devices you are using. It is always a good idea to consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for further guidance.
Pros and Cons Of Monitors with Speakers
Monitors with built-in speakers have both advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the pros and cons:
- Convenience: Monitors with built-in speakers can be more convenient than using external speakers, as they eliminate the need for additional cables and devices.
- Space-saving: Using a monitor with built-in speakers can save space on your desk or work area, as you don’t need to make room for separate speakers.
- Cost-effective: monitor with audio output is generally more affordable than purchasing separate monitors and speakers.
- Ideal for basic sound needs: Built-in speakers are suitable for basic sound needs such as web browsing, video conferencing, and light gaming.
- Sound quality: The sound quality of built-in speakers is generally not as good as standalone speakers, as the speakers are often small and lack the power and clarity of external speakers.
- Limited flexibility: With a monitor with audio output, you may not be able to adjust the positioning of the speakers or swap them out for better ones.
- Limited volume: Built-in speakers are not designed for high-volume output and may produce distorted sound at higher volumes.
- May not be suitable for professional use: For professionals who need high-quality audio output for tasks such as audio editing or music production, built-in speakers may not be sufficient.
Do I Need Speakers for My Monitor?
Whether or not you need external speakers for your monitor depends on your personal preferences and intended use of the monitor external speakers.
If you plan to use your monitor for basic tasks like web browsing, email, or video calls, the built-in speakers may be sufficient. Most monitors with built-in speakers provide decent sound quality for these tasks, and using external speakers may not be necessary.
However, if you plan to use your monitor for gaming, watching movies, or listening to music, external speakers can provide a better audio experience. External speakers are usually larger and more powerful than built-in speakers, providing higher-quality sound and a better listening experience.
In addition, if you require high-quality audio output for professional tasks such as music production or video editing, external speakers or headphones are often necessary.
Ultimately, the decision to use external speakers with your monitor comes down to personal preference and the intended use of the monitor. If you’re unsure, you can try using the built-in speakers first and then decide whether external speakers are necessary based on your experience.
Best Monitors With Speakers
|1||Sceptre 24" Professional Thin...||$119.97 $102.99||View on Amazon|
|2||HP 24mh FHD Monitor - Computer...||$159.99 $124.99||View on Amazon|
|3||Sceptre 24" Curved 75Hz Gaming...||$107.97||View on Amazon|
|4||Dell S2421H 24-Inch 1080p Full...||$169.99 $149.99||View on Amazon|
|5||SANSUI Monitor 24 inch FHD PC...||$119.99||View on Amazon|
|6||Sceptre 22 inch 75Hz 1080P LED...||$89.97||View on Amazon|
|7||Sceptre 27-Inch FHD LED Gaming...||$149.97 $139.94||View on Amazon|
|8||Dell S3221QS 32 Inch Curved 4K...||$399.99 $369.99||View on Amazon|
|9||HP M27fwa 27-in FHD IPS LED...||$289.99 $199.00||View on Amazon|
|10||SAMSUNG S40VA Series 24-Inch...||$309.99 $269.00||View on Amazon|
There are many monitors on the market that come with built-in speakers, and the best one for you will depend on your needs and budget. Here are some of the top monitors with speakers to consider:
- Dell S2721QS: This 27-inch 4K monitor offers good color accuracy and a wide viewing angle. It has built-in speakers that produce decent sound quality and comes at a reasonable price point.
- ASUS Designo MX27UCS: This 27-inch 4K monitor has an ultra-slim design and comes with a pair of built-in speakers that deliver good audio quality. It also has a USB Type-C port that supports audio and video transmission.
- Philips 272E1CA: This 27-inch monitor offers a 1080p resolution and has built-in speakers that produce a clear sound. It also features a curved design for a more immersive viewing experience.
- HP EliteDisplay E243p: This 23.8-inch monitor has a unique pop-up camera for video conferencing and built-in speakers that produce high-quality audio. It also has a USB-C port for easy connectivity.
- Acer R240HY: This 23.8-inch monitor is budget-friendly and offers a 1080p resolution. Its built-in speakers produce clear and loud audio, making it a good option for casual use.
These are just a few examples of monitors with built-in speakers that are worth considering. When choosing a monitor, it’s important to consider factors such as screen size, resolution, audio quality, and price to find the one that best meets your needs.
How to Use Laptop Speakers Instead Of Monitors?
To use your laptop speakers instead of your monitor’s speakers, you can follow these steps:
- Open your computer’s sound settings: In Windows, click on the volume icon in the taskbar and then click on the “Sound” button. In macOS, open “System Preferences” and then click on “Sound.”
- Select your laptop speakers: In the sound settings, look for the option to select your audio output device. Choose your laptop’s built-in speakers from the list of available devices.
- Test the audio output: Once you’ve selected your laptop speakers as the audio output device, play a sound or video to test the audio output. The sound should now come from your laptop’s speakers instead of the monitor’s speakers.
If you’re using external speakers or headphones with your laptop, you can select those as the audio output device instead of the built-in speakers. This can be done in the same way as selecting your laptop speakers, by choosing the external speakers or headphones from the list of available devices in your computer’s sound settings.
- Best Car Speakers For Bass 2023:Top Brands Review
- Bookshelf Speakers Vs. Studio Monitors 2023: Top Full Comparison
- How To Connect Multiple Bluetooth Speakers: Top Full Guide 2023
FAQs about Monitors With Speakers
Do gaming monitors have speakers?
Gaming monitors may or may not have built-in speakers, depending on the specific model. Some gaming monitors prioritize high refresh rates, low input lag, and other features over built-in speakers, while others may include speakers that provide decent sound quality for gaming and multimedia use.
Why don’t monitors have speakers?
Not all monitors have built-in speakers because sound quality is not typically a top priority for most users. Monitors are primarily designed to display visual content, and many users prefer to use external speakers or headphones for high-quality audio output.
Does Samsung monitor have speakers?
Many Samsung monitors come with built-in speakers, but it depends on the specific model. Some Samsung monitors prioritize other features like high resolution, fast refresh rates, or low input lag over built-in speakers.
Do Dell monitors have speakers?
Dell monitors come with a range of options – some featuring built-in speakers, others boasting higher resolution, faster refresh rates, or reduced input lag – so you can pick the perfect model for your needs!
Does AOC monitor have sound?
Some AOC monitors come with built-in speakers, while others do not. It depends on the specific model and its intended use. Before purchasing an AOC monitor, it’s important to check the specifications to see if it has built-in speakers or if you need to use external speakers or headphones for audio output.
Does HP monitor have speakers?
The HP VH240a monitor comes with built-in speakers. It is a 23.8-inch Full HD 1080p IPS LED monitor with rotating portrait and landscape orientation, tilt adjustment, HDMI & VGA ports, and VESA mounting support.
It is also an EPEAT-registered product, meaning it meets specific environmental performance criteria such as energy efficiency and reduced environmental impact throughout its lifecycle.
Do MSI monitors have speakers?
No way! MSI screens don’t come with speakers, but they can still be used with external speakers or earphones if sound is essential for you!
How to connect speakers to Onn monitor?
To connect speakers to an Onn monitor, you will need to use an audio cable to connect speakers to monitor’s audio output port to the input port on your external speakers.
First, identify the audio output port on the Onn monitor, which is usually a 3.5mm headphone jack or a digital audio output port.
Then, connect one end of an audio cable to the monitor’s audio output port and the other end to the input port on your external speakers.
Once the speakers are connected, adjust the volume on the speakers and the monitor to the desired level.
By taking the time to understand monitor speakers and the options available, you can make an informed decision when it comes to buying a new monitor. Whether you choose one with built-in speakers or prefer to connect your own, you can ensure that your audio experience is top-notch.
If you have any more questions about monitors with speakers, feel free to reach out to us and we’ll be happy to help. For more information on finding the best monitor for your needs, check out our blog post on the topic today!
Last update on 2023-03-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API