Xbox headsets use a proprietary connection cable that can be attached to the controller or directly to the side of the headset. The cable plugs into the rear audio port on the Xbox One, and audio can be streamed either to the headset or your TV.
To use the headset on Xbox One, you must connect it to the console’s rear port via the cable or connect via Bluetooth on the headset. But the process may be a bit complex; If you are looking for How To Connect Headset To Xbox One Controller, then this is an excellent place for you. Hooke Audio will show you the easiest ways to connect your headset to Xbox One in this guide.
- 1 How To Connect Headsets to Xbox One
- 1.1 1. How to connect compatible Xbox Wireless Headset
- 1.2 2. Connecting wired Headset to Xbox One
- 1.3 3. How to connect non-compatible Bluetooth headphones to Xbox One
- 1.4 4. Use Bluetooth transmitters
- 1.5 5. Update the Controller
- 1.6 6. Controller Settings
- 1.7 7. Use iPhone headsets in conjunction with the Xbox Controller
- 2 FAQ
- 3 Conclusion
How To Connect Headsets to Xbox One
1. How to connect compatible Xbox Wireless Headset
Xbox Series X|S or Xbox One console in the same manner as an Xbox Wireless Controller:
Make sure both the console and headset are turned on.
- Hold the green power button (located at the back of your left earcup) for four seconds. The gaming headset will play a repeating pairing tone, and then the power light will flash.
- The pairing button is the same button that you use to pair your wireless controller with your console. The console’s power light will begin flashing.
- The power lights on the console and wireless headset will cease flashing when they are connected.
- Bluetooth is used to connect the Xbox Wireless Gaming Headsets with an Android, Win10, or iOS device.
Video: Xbox Series X
2. Connecting wired Headset to Xbox One
The 3.5mm headphone jack on all wired headsets is included. There are two ways how to connect wired headphones to Xbox One. If you have the original Xbox controller, there is no headphone socket. If that is the case, then you’ll need to use the second method below.
You might also have the problem of one earbud not working. For more information, see our detailed solution.
Directly to the controller
- Switch off your Xbox One first.
- Connect your headphones directly to the Xbox controller by inserting the headphone connector into the headphone socket on the controller.
- Switch on your Xbox One, then navigate to the Settings menu.
- Click on Device and Accessories.
- Select the appropriate controller and then apply the settings.
- You can also check our guides on how to use apple headphones as mics and apple buds on a pc.
Connecting via stereo headset adapter on the controller
- Place the adaptor in the expansion port on the controller to use your headphones. The adaptor’s 3.5mm headphone jack should be connected to your stereo headset adapter. Navigate to the Setting Menu by opening the Xbox One device.
- Select the appropriate option from the Device and Accessories menu. You might also want to check out our guide on Skullcandy Crusher wireless pairing for additional help.
- Microsoft had its adaptor, but it was discontinued. A stereo headset adapter is required when you purchase an adaptor. These adaptors are easily found online and can be connected to the bottom side of your Xbox One controller.
- An adaptor with volume buttons is recommended if your headphones do not have a volume control function. If one of my headphones isn’t working, it could be due to low volume in iOS.
3. How to connect non-compatible Bluetooth headphones to Xbox One
Although it may seem disappointing, Xbox does not support Bluetooth headphones. However, it is possible to connect these devices with a little bit of creativity and the right tools. Continue reading to learn how.
Utilize PC connection
One clever way to use your Xbox One Bluetooth headphones is to connect them with your Windows PC. You can use your Bluetooth headphones to transmit sounds by clicking the PC.
Configuring a connection between Windows PC and Xbox One should not be difficult since they are both powered by Microsoft.
- To connect Xbox One and Windows PC seamlessly, there are two conditions:
- Both devices must be connected to the same network (preferably an ethernet connection for streaming)
- Use the Xbox Console Companion App.
It shouldn’t be challenging to secure an Xbox Console Companion App. Microsoft has already installed the app on all Windows PCs. This is a move to integrate both services. If you don’t have it, you can download it here.
These steps will help you connect Xbox One to Windows PC.
Step 1. Sign up for the app or log in to your Microsoft Account.
Step 2. Click the Connection icon at the left-hand menu of the Xbox One app to activate it.
Step 3. Look for Connect to your Xbox One. You will find the Add a Device icon in its top-right. Click on it.
Step 4. Windows will search for your Xbox One console automatically. After the console has been detected, click on the Connect button.
Step 5. If the search takes too long, you can manually type your Xbox’s IP address into the box and then click Connect.
Step 6. To connect, go to your Xbox settings and select Devices & Streaming. You will need to enable Allow to play to streaming, Allow game audio streaming on other devices, or Only from accounts signed in on this Xbox. Next, check whether your Xbox is listed under the Connections tab.
Step 7. After it has been connected, you will control the Xbox functions from your computer.
Once your Xbox has been connected to your computer, you can now use the Bluetooth headphones.
Connect via TV
We’ll use the Xbox-PC hack to make television bridge the gap between Bluetooth headphones & Xbox. First, connect the Xbox to your television and then the Bluetooth headphones to your television.
Bluetooth headphones with Xbox will not allow you to use your headset microphone.
These steps will help you connect your Xbox to your PC:
Step 1. Connect the HDMI cable included with your Xbox One to the port on the back of the console.
Step 2. Locate the HDMI port on the back of your television and plug the other end into the outlet.
Step 3. Use your remote to set the TV’s input source to the HDMI audio port that you have plugged in.
Next, connect your Bluetooth headphones with your TV. You can also refer to our guide on connecting wireless audio headphones to your television if you are unsure. You can also use Bluetooth audio transmitters to your TV if your TV does not support Bluetooth.
Use the Xbox App
We have many more hacks that you might find helpful if you don’t like the ones we’ve shown you. One uses the Xbox One App for Bluetooth headset connections.
This is an option for people who use their cans only for party chat. This will not allow you to hear the game audio through your wireless headphones.
Here are the steps:
Step 1. Connect your Bluetooth headset with your mobile phone
Step 2. Next, open Xbox One App and click the social icon with two people.
Step 3. To start a party chat, click on the speaker icon.
Step 4. Agree with the permissions.
This will open the party chat window. Invite your friends and have fun!
4. Use Bluetooth transmitters
Bluetooth transmitter is another way to bypass the Xbox One’s Bluetooth restrictions. This audio output device will allow you to use your Bluetooth
A Bluetooth transmitter can only transmit audio through your own headphones. You can’t use your headphone microphone.
These are the steps to use Bluetooth game audio transmitters for your music:
- Turn the transmitter on by pressing and holding the power button for few seconds. Wait until the flashing Red or Blue LEDs appear. The instructions for your particular transmitter will vary. Refer to the manual.
- Connect the transmitter to the 3.5mm port on your Xbox one controller.
- Turn on your headphones to pair them. Be aware that different headphones may have additional pairing instructions. To ensure the best results, make sure to read your manufacturer’s instructions.
- For approximately 5 seconds, hold down the multifunction button of your Bluetooth transmitter. This will activate the pairing button.
- Bring your headphones near the transmitter to get a faster connection. Wait for a steady blue light to appear on the dongle.
- Once you establish a connection, you can play while you listen.
This tutorial uses the Uber with Bluetooth transmitter. The transmitter can also be used to connect your Bluetooth headphones with the Nintendo Switch. The steps are the same for all transmitters.
5. Update the Controller
Even if compatible headphones are available, sometimes they won’t work with the Xbox One. Before you go shopping online for new cans, make sure your Xbox controller software has been updated. These steps will help you check.
- Click on Settings, then Devices & Accessories.
- Install any updates that are pending if you see them.
- After that, verify that your headphones work.
6. Controller Settings
Incorrect controller settings can cause audio problems. Check to make sure all audio settings are correct.
- Click on the Settings button on the Xbox
- Choose Devices and Accessories
- You can also check the volume settings for the chat mixer.
- Correct any errors, and then check the audio output quality of your headphones.
7. Use iPhone headsets in conjunction with the Xbox Controller
The Apple Earbuds, although a new technology, may still have audio issues with Xbox. Follow these steps if you have Apple Earbuds.
- Navigate to the Settings menu of the Xbox One
- Click on Accessories and Devices
- You should have a headset Mic option. It should be disabled
- Find the headphones Mic monitoring settings, and then disable them. Lower the value to the lowest possible location.
How to connect headphones to Xbox One? You can connect headphones with the Xbox console to ensure they work correctly.
You should now be able to use your Xbox console’s headphones. If this is still not possible, you may need professional assistance. Microsoft tech support can help you get your headphones to work with the Xbox.
- How To Improve Microphone Quality? Top Full Guide 2022
- How To Use Headphone Mic On Pc? Top Full Guide 2022
- How To Set Up Microphone? Top Full Guide 2022
How do I make my headset work on Xbox One?
To prepare your Xbox One Stereo Headset for usage with your system, follow these steps:
- Update your Xbox Wireless Controller to ensure that it is compatible with the headset adapter.
- Insert the adapter into the controller’s bottom.
- Put the headset’s audio connector into the headset adapter’s bottom.
Why is my headset mic not working on Xbox One?
Mic issues: If your friends can’t hear you, make sure your mic isn’t muted, then verify that Auto-mute isn’t set to High in your headset settings (try turning Auto-mute off). If it does not resolve the issue, restart both devices. It would help if you also investigated whether your headset has a firmware upgrade available.
How do I get sound through my headset?
Ensure your audio source is turned on and the volume is turned up. Turn to raise the volume on your headphones if they have a volume button or knob. Check that your battery-powered headphones are fully charged. Check your headphones’ connection.
Don’t bother buying new headphones if you’re able to use your old ones. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get a good set of cans that work with your Xbox. The most important thing you need is a good pair of headphones.
Adaptors, Bluetooth transmitters, and many more devices often bridge the technology gap between your headphones and the Xbox One audio device. They help you use your existing hardware without investing in new ones.
However, if you have incompatible headphones, you need to invest in a new headphone compatible with Xbox one. We hope our guide is helpful for you.