Soundbars are sound systems that are designed to be placed under a TV or monitor. As more TVs are being built without speakers, soundbars are becoming an easy way to fill the void and provide some sound without purchasing a completely new sound system.
It is possible to buy soundbars that connect directly to a projector’s audio output, but not all of them do
A soundbar is an excellent addition to your home theater system. If you’re looking for instructions on how to connect soundbar to projector, this article is what you need!
Options for Connecting a Soundbar to a Projector
There are many options for audio and video connections. Each projector and soundbar has a limited number of audio outputs and inputs.
To connect a soundbar with a projector and get the best results, it is essential to identify a compatible output from the projector with a compatible soundbar input. Priority should be given to better-quality connections.
These are some connections that you might find on your soundbar and projector:
- HDMI/HDMI ARC: This cable is used to connect your projector to a Blu-ray player or game console. If your projector and soundbar support it, this digital connection allows you to enjoy surround sound and excellent quality.
- SPDIF: This digital audio cable uses an RCA/TOSLINK connection. This type of connection is known for its high sound quality. There’s a good chance that your soundbar will support SPDIF if it doesn’t have an HDMI input.
- Toslink/Optical: Another digital option that offers excellent quality. This should be your next option if HDMI or SPDIF are not options.
- RCA: This analog connection type can produce decent sound if you have quality cables. However, it shouldn’t be used if there are no digital options.
- Stereo 3.5mm: Another analog connection that is fine if there are no other options. However, it doesn’t offer the best sound quality and stereo only.
- Bluetooth: Although it isn’t a type of physical connector, you can find projectors or soundbars that work with it. Because it is wireless, interference can cause a drop in sound quality.
How to Connect a Soundbar to a Projector With HDMI
HDMI is the best choice for connecting a soundbar and projector, as it supports more than two audio channels. This method requires that your soundbar has an HDMI input port or HDMI ARC output port. If you don’t already have an HDMI cable, you will need one.
This is how you connect your soundbar to your projector using HDMI.
- Your soundbar and projector should be turned off.
- An HDMI cable can be connected to your projector’s HDMI output or HDMI ARC output.
- Connect the other end of your soundbar to an HDMI input or HDMI ARC input.
- Connect a media input device such as a streaming device or laptop to your projector.
- Turn your devices on.
- Set your projector’s HDMI output and your soundbar’s HDMI input if necessary.
How to Connect a Soundbar to a Projector With Optical or SPDIF
Optical audio connections use a TOSLINK square connector. SPDIF can be used with either a TOSLINK and RCA connectors. To ensure that these connections are compatible, make sure you check the input and output of your soundbar before trying to use them.
SPDIF can use either square TOSLINK connectors or round RCA connectors. The former provides an optical connection, while the latter uses a coaxial cable.
Here’s how you can make sure your soundbar and projector are compatible:
- Both devices should be turned off.
- Connect one end of your TOSLINK cable or RCA SPDIF Cable to the output port on your projector.
- Connect the other end to a soundbar input.
- Connect your input device to your projector.
- Turn the devices on.
- Set the audio output port of your projector to optical, digital, or SPDIF and the input port of your soundbar, if necessary.
How to Connect a Soundbar to a Projector Using an Analog Connection
There are two types of analog connections that can be found on soundbars and projectors: RCA connectors or 3.5mm TRRS jacks. If you have the correct adapter, you can connect the 3.5mm output of a projector to the stereo RCA inputs on a Soundbar.
This is how to connect an analog soundbar to a projector:
- Both devices should be turned off.
- Connect the left and the right channel RCA cables on your projector to the RCA outputs, or connect a 3.5mm aux to the 3.5mm audio jack.
- Connect the other end to the input/inputs of your projector.
- Connect your input devices and projector.
- Turn your devices on.
- Set the projector sound output and soundbar input to analog if necessary.
How to Connect a Soundbar to a Projector via Bluetooth
You only need to pair your projector with the soundbar if they both support Bluetooth. This type of connection can be affected by interference from other electronic devices, so your sound quality may not always be consistent.
Here are some tips for pairing your projector with a Bluetooth Speaker:
- Turn on the soundbar and enable pairing mode.
- Use the settings menu to enable Bluetooth and search the soundbar.
- Accept the connection and, if necessary, enter a pairing code.
- When both devices are turned on, the soundbar should automatically connect to the projector.
How do you connect a soundbar to a TV?
An RCA/Aux cable should be run from the TV’s audio output to the input of your soundbar. Connect the cables to connect digital optical devices or HDMI-ARC. Bluetooth: Turn both devices on, then go to the Bluetooth settings on your TV and pair them.
Related Post: https://hookeaudio.com/how-to-connect-soundbar-to-tv/
Why won’t my soundbar work with my TV/projector?
If your soundbar doesn’t work, there are several steps you can follow. Check that the cables are connected securely and in the correct ports.
Make sure your TV input is set correctly. Also, you can update the firmware on your TV/projector or soundbar and then cycle the power to reset them.
How do you make a projector screen?
A projector screen can be made at home using PVC pipes, two yards white 122-inch pearlized Spandex, and fabric tape. The pipes will be used to build a strong frame.
Next, attach the Spandex cloth using the fabric tape. To transform a blank wall into projector screens, you can use primer, sandpaper, and theater screen paint.
How does a projector work?
An older projector was used to magnify a small image from the translucent film. Today, LCD projectors can beam light through thousands upon thousands of pixels. The light bounces off a group of mirrors coated with a unique film that reflects one wavelength of light.
It is easy to connect soundbar to projectors, but not all soundbars work without any hassles. Projectors can be connected to a soundbar using their sound output or the speaker terminals on the back of the projector.
There are specific models of projectors that allow for speakers to be used, but they do not supply the necessary audio signal (they only supply power).
We only recommend connecting a good-quality soundbar to projectors when it is essential, since the higher quality the soundbar, the better the sound reproduction.
Hooke Audio hope you find this helpful guide, comment with any questions or ideas.