Trying to test your subwoofer can be a challenge, but there are ways for you to know if the sound is functioning properly. There are a lot of things to consider when testing your subwoofer, including whether it makes the sound at all, if the sound quality is acceptable, and if the bass frequencies are correct for you.
Let’s be with Hooke Audio to find out how to test subwoofer?
- 1 What is a Subwoofer?
- 2 What is an AMP (Amplifier?)
- 3 What Tools Do You Need To Test the Subwoofer
- 4 Ways of testing Subwoofer without an Amp (Amplifier)
- 5 Why is Subwoofer Important?
- 6 How To Test Subwoofer With Multimeter
- 7 Test the Sound Produced
- 8 How to Determine If the Cone is Bad
- 9 How To Test If The Coil Is Bad
What is a Subwoofer?
A subwoofer can be described as a Loudspeaker that produces Bass frequencies that are lower. The frequency is what makes a woofer different from a subwoofer. A subwoofer has a lower frequency or bass level than a woofer.
A consumer subwoofer can produce frequencies between 20 and 200 HZ. For a professional car subwoofer, the frequency range is below 100 HZ. THX-certified systems are below 80 HZ.
Subwoofers can be used in conjunction with other loudspeakers, but they are not the only ones. Subwoofers can be made with one or more subwoofers that are seated on a loudspeaker frame.
It can also be made from wood, which is resistant to air pressure and prevents deformation. These are just a few of the many subwoofers available:
- The Amplifier power subwoofer is ideal for car enthusiasts.
- A subwoofer with active power is for those who want to use it without or with an amplifier.
- You might be interested in SVS 1000 vs 2000 SVS
Subwoofers can be used in the following ways:
- It’s used to upgrade your audio system.
- This not only increases the bass system but also reduces distortion by lowering the acoustic requirements of the main speaker.
- The stereo low-frequency localization cues help to enhance soundstage reproduction.
What is an AMP (Amplifier?)
An AMP is an electronic device that increases the power of a signal. It is composed of two electronic circuits that make use of electric power from its power source to increase the amplitude of a signal used to its input terminals. This helps produce a higher-amplitude signal to its output.
An amplifier’s volume of amplifying power is measured by its gain, which is the ratio of current and output voltage to input.
It is more powerful than other speakers. Apart from their advantages, amplifiers have some drawbacks. These are the disadvantages:
- It is very likely to become loud as it gets older, especially in humid climates.
- It reduces voltage gain at both low and high frequencies.
- It is unable to use the amplifier’s final stage and has poor resistance to its component to alternating voltage.
- It can be used only as a stereo amp.
- It needs a high voltage.
What Tools Do You Need To Test the Subwoofer
You must follow the steps to test subwoofers in order to complete the task correctly. There are several essential tools that you will need. These tools are:
- 9 Volt Batterie
- A Wire
- Multimeter or Tester
Ways of testing Subwoofer without an Amp (Amplifier)
Music plays an important part in our mechanical lives. Music can lift someone’s mood, bring out their emotions, or make them feel calmer and more relaxed.
Music can help us feel all the emotions that we have experienced throughout our lives. Music can be used to treat depression, tension, or any other mental disorder.
Music is a great tool for traveling. It makes it so much more enjoyable. Most vehicles now have a music system.
Most people are interested in adding subwoofers to their cars.
Before buying, the importance of a better subwoofer for a better tone of the music is inevitable. It is best to test a subwoofer without an amplifier in order to get the best results.
If your sub doesn’t deliver the bass sound it is supposed to, you can check it and see if it is a problem with the blown speaker.
Why is Subwoofer Important?
A subwoofer can bring many benefits to your audio system. These are the benefits:
Many speakers used in-car audio do not have the ability to reproduce all frequencies sent to them by an audio system. A subwoofer is able to produce any sound that may be lost.
A subwoofer is essential for better music. Few speakers can produce all we need. If they can, then the extreme is fully realized and stressed.
If used correctly, it is extremely efficient and convenient. It is easy to remove and has excellent monitoring quality.
It’s much easier to move around and sit down. It is smaller and lighter than all the other speakers.
How To Test Subwoofer With Multimeter
A multimeter is the best way to determine if the subwoofer has blown out. A multimeter is a great tool for testing other types of stuff.
In this instance, the purpose of a multimeter is to test the voice coil resistance. This will tell you if your subwoofer is functioning properly or if it has blown out. These are the steps to determine the resistance of your voice coils.
- You must first turn off the subwoofer and cut the power supply. You won’t get the correct measurements if you don’t do this.
- After we need to monitor the cone of the woofer rises upwards when it is connected with the battery and rises downwards when disconnected from the battery.
- Next, remove all cables and wirings from your subwoofer. You should also remove any power or input cables from your subwoofer.
- To access the subwoofer properly, remove it from the enclosure. You will now need to remove the subwoofer from the enclosure so that you can access the voice coils. This will depend on the subwoofer that you have.
- Once you have access to the subwoofer’s voice coil, you will need to attach your multimeter to the terminals. The positive terminal of your voice coil will be visible, so ensure you use the positive end.
- Attach the negative probe to your negative terminal.
- Turn on your multimeter and you will see the resistance of the subwoofer.
This is how you test. But what about the results? You don’t have to worry about that. There are three possible readings that your multimeter may give you.
If there is no resistance in your multimeter reading, it means that the subwoofer’s voice coils have already been damaged. If the reading shifts too often, it could indicate a blown coil.
If the resistance reading on the multimeter is greater than 1 ohm, it’s safe. This is a sign that your subwoofer may be having problems.
Test the Sound Produced
Bad subwoofer speakers will produce terrible bass. Because you want to know the sound quality of your subwoofer speaker, this will help you decide if it is working properly. You will need to use music or a sound system in order to run this test.
Listen to some soft music or lower the volume. After a while, raise the volume. If you can still hear sound from the sub speaker, it is not fully blown. The speaker will be completely blown for subs that produce static sounds or totally silent.
How to Determine If the Cone is Bad
A suspension system is used to keep the cone in place on every subwoofer. The suspension system allows the cone to vibrate (move back and forth) during sound disturbances. It is an indicator that the cone is having trouble moving if it stops moving after a disturbance or if the movement is slow.
To verify that the cone is not the problem you need to remove the grille from your subwoofer. This test should be done with both hands. If there are no problems, you don’t want them to create one. Place your hands on the speaker cone and gently push. If the cone moves, it’s okay. If the cone doesn’t move, it is a problem.
But, moving is not enough. It must move within a defined area and should do so smoothly. So listen. It’s bad if the movement is rigid or lax. A problem is if you hear something that sounds like scratching. These sounds could indicate a weak suspension.
How To Test If The Coil Is Bad
Attached at the end of the cone is the voice coil. The magnet is the part that generates a magnetic field to produce sound. The voice coil has a positive and a negative terminal. You can also blow the voice coil and have your subwoofer’s bass leak.
To verify that the sub’s voice coil has failed, you will need a multimeter. Multimeters are useful for checking the voltage, current, and resistance in electronic devices like subwoofers.
This test can be done by switching off the speaker and then removing the voice coil from both the positive and negative terminals. Place the probes from the multimeter in their place. Place the right probe in the right terminal, and the left probe into the left terminal.
To check the electrical resistance of your coil, make sure you have a good multimeter in order to get accurate results. Your coil is good if it has an electrical resistance greater than 1.0 Ohms.
If the coils don’t read an electrical resistance value, they are probably blown. A result of fewer than 1.0 Ohms, or between 1.0 and 1.0 Ohms, indicates that there is something seriously wrong.