It’s no secret that the experience of listening to music is vastly different depending on where you place your subwoofer. If you want better sound and bass for your back seat passengers, you can use a trunk subwoofer. However, if you don’t want to sacrifice space and want clear and crisp sound, an underseat subwoofer is a great option. So Underseat Subwoofer vs Trunk subwoofer: Which is better? Let’s find out the answer.
Underseat Subwoofer Vs Trunk Subwoofer – Comparison Table
|FEATURES||UNDERSEAT SUBWOOFER||TRUNK SUBWOOFER|
|Size||Small||Variety of Sizes, Customizable|
|Installation||Easy||Requires different ways to get installed.|
|Portability||Highly Portable||Not easily at all|
|Space Consumption||Takes less space||Requires some extra space|
|Durability||Less durable||Highly durable|
|Safety||Exposed to damage||Safe in the trunk, if fitted properly|
|Bass Production||Bad in Bass||Perfection in Bass|
|Car recommendation||Small Sized Cars||All types of cars|
|Performance||Perform well||Perform Best|
|Placement||Placed under the seats||Placed inside the trunk|
|Customization Capability||Not many options to customize||Highly customization|
|Price||Affordable||A bit expensive|
Underseat Subwoofer Vs Trunk Subwoofer
These car subwoofers are usually fitted under car seats. This subwoofer often comes with an amplifier built-in so everything is on one unit. An under-seat sub usually features a lightweight and compact design.
To achieve the perfect balance between performance and form factor, this subwoofer type uses drivers up to 10 inches wide. Peak power can reach as high as 800 W. Some under-seat subwoofers with the highest power can reach RMS peak power of 200 watts.
Many car owners love the ease of installing underseat subwoofers. Nearly everyone can connect an underseat unit to their car without having to spend a lot of money on professional installation.
The compact unit is surprisingly powerful and loud because it makes use of the space under the seat.
You can also save money by purchasing only the subs that have a built-in amplifier. You can modify them to get an excellent underseat subwoofer which will transform your car audio experience on the road.
Read more: Best Budget Subwoofer Car
- Lightweight and Compact: Underseat subwoofers are designed to fit into small spaces, yet they can still be powerful.
You can also remove compact subwoofers from the seat easily by removing them from underneath it.
- Installation is easy: Under seat car Subwoofers are also easy to set up, especially when you consider how light they are.
Also, most under-seat subwoofers have amps built right in, so you don’t have to connect as many things.
- Affordable. Compared to the trunk and other car subwoofers, the price of the under-seat model tends to be lower. They can provide a lot of value without costing too much.
- Limitations in sound quality: Due to their small size, subwoofers that fit under the seat may not have much bass power. However, they can still be tuned to sound better and equalize sound. But compared to trunk subwoofers, they may not perform as well in terms of overall sound quality.
- Takes up passenger legroom: Underseat Subwoofers can cause discomfort for passengers, especially if they are large.
The unit might be able to extend to take up the space that the rear passengers typically use for stretching their legs.
- Not the strongest: In order to stay small, subwoofers that go under the seat usually don’t have complex protections like covers. This leaves most exposed.
These units can be damaged by constant shocks and stresses placed on the vehicle’s cabin.
Car Trunk Subwoofer
It is also known as the trunk subwoofer. This name derives from the trunk section of a car where it is installed.
The superior sound quality and bass output of trunk subwoofers are what make them more popular than underseat subwoofers.
Premium subwoofers have peak RMS outputs above 2500, and even greater peak power. These power levels are often beyond the reach for subwoofers underseat.
These units are usually large and require adequate space for installation. This is not always possible in a car’s trunk. These units are often installed by people who don’t mind the loss of space for the excellent sound quality.
These car subwoofers are great at separating different frequencies. They can be customized by using an external sound amplifier.
To make sure a trunk subwoofer doesn’t jerk when you brake or turn sharply, it may need to be reinforced during installation for stability. You can also add subwoofers as long as you have enough space in your trunk.
- Best Subwoofer Box For Car Trunk
- How To Clean A Subwoofer
- Best Subwoofer Box For Car Trunk: Top Brand Reviews 2023
- Excellent sound quality: Perhaps the most compelling reason to install a trunk subwoofer, particularly when compared to underseat units, delivers greater sound quality.
A large subwoofer will give you premium low-frequency bass.
More power and better experience of low frequencies.
- Rich customization options: Trunk type has a lot of ways to customize it, like letting you choose between an equalizer and an amplifier.
The car subwoofer settings can be adjusted to your liking, which is a feature that might not be available on underseat models.
- Durable: subwoofers are more durable than those underseat. Make sure your subwoofer is securely secured in the trunk and protected with durable material.
It is protected from interference by its geographical location.
- Addition of enhancements: You probably already know that if your trunk has enough room, you can add more than one subwoofer to your sound system. This is a great thing.
- Expensive: Premium trunk subwoofers are often very expensive. Additional components, such as amplifiers, equalizers, or cabling can also increase the cost.
- Space-intensive: these devices require a lot of space even if they are installed in trunks. Most units require very little space in the trunk once they are installed.
Sometimes, a fully-occupied trunk can be unusable for storage of anything other than the subwoofer.
- Extensive Installation: most trunks and subwoofers require professional installation. This can be a complicated process. Most cases require professional installation. This involves complex wiring and the hooking of additional components.
|1||Klipsch R-100SW 10" Subwoofer,...||2,367 Reviews||$199.00||View on Amazon|
|2||MTX Audio Terminator Series...||$169.95||View on Amazon|
|3||Klipsch R-120SW Subwoofer,...||1,977 Reviews||$599.00 $292.57||View on Amazon|
|4||Klipsch R-12SW Powerful Deep...||4,912 Reviews||$219.99||View on Amazon|
|5||Skar Audio Dual 12" Complete...||View on Amazon|
|6||BESTISAN 100-Watt Powered...||198 Reviews||$105.99||View on Amazon|
|7||Monoprice 12 Inch 150 Watt...||$86.24 $72.63||View on Amazon|
|8||Polk Audio PSW10 10" Powered...||15,095 Reviews||$249.00 $199.99||View on Amazon|
|9||PreSonus Eris Sub 8 Compact...||21,732 Reviews||View on Amazon|
|10||YAMAHA 8" 100W Powered...||1,588 Reviews||$179.95||View on Amazon|
Car speaker installation is an important choice that comes with many considerations. Car-makers themselves claim to have different opinions. Some say that the underseat subwoofer is the only option, while others claim the trunk subwoofer is the best. We hope that this comparative post can help you easily choose the best place to install a subwoofer.
Last update on 2023-09-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API